Notify the City
It’s important to remember that being ‘homeless’ and asking for assistance is not a crime. Homelessless is complex and often requires involving multiple services and supports. Equally, there are many types of assistance and support available.
Please note that criminal behaviour and illegal activity must be reported to Police on 131 444 before contacting the City.
The City works with local service providers providing outreach services to people experiencing homelessness or who are at risk of homelessness in the community. Notifying the City helps provide useful information to these services and gives the City information on the prevalence of homelessness in the local area to inform future initiatives.
If you are concerned about a person experiencing or at risk of homelessness,
contact the Community Development team at email@example.com
or call 9237 9222. Please include details such as location, number of people, and any health or safety concerns.
Report an issue
Subiaco main streets can be a popular location for people to beg due to high foot traffic and a generous community. Not all people begging are homeless, and not all people experiencing homelessness will beg.
Local police and community organisations encourage the community to support charities that provide emergency relief and outreach. This helps to discourage those not seeking money for essential expenses, and better supports community organisations providing emergency relief and assistance.
Please consider supporting the following organisations:
The Salvation Army - The City partners with Salvation Army to deliver outreach services on a regular basis in the City. Their volunteers provide emergency assistance, distributing basic essential items, support, referrals and social contact for some of the most vulnerable people in the community.
The Big Issue - This organisation supports vendors who sell the Big Issue by purchasing directly from them.
St Vincent de Paul
There are many services across Perth working to address and end homelessness. Many of these provide services to people within the City of Subiaco, including:
- ERConnect - developed by Western Australian Council of Social Service (WACOSS), ERConnect contains real time search results of emergency relief services, with phone numbers, operating hours, and directions on the services available in your location
- AskIzzy - help find the services you need, now and nearby. It is free and anonymous, and you can search over 360,000 services to find housing, meals, healthcare, counselling, legal advice, and more
- Entrypoint Perth - free assessment and referral service assisting people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness in Western Australia to access accommodation and support options. Please call 6496 0001 or 1800 124 684.
- Crisis Care, Department of Communities (Child Protection and Family Support) - telephone information and counselling service for people in crisis needing urgent help. Please call 9223 1111 or 1800 199 008. Crisis Care can be accessed through the translating and interpreting service on 13 14 50.
- Homeless Services in the Inner City brochure - hardcopies of the brochure are available from the City of Subiaco library and administration centre, and can be requested from the City of Perth by organisations.
To find out opportunities to be involved and help your community, contact the following organisations:
For more information about how the City is addressing homelessness, contact the City’s Community Development team on 9237 9222 or firstname.lastname@example.org