Reading Hour is an initiative of Australia Reads, which encourages people across the country to read for an hour on Thursday 9 March 2023. Reading Hour is all about sharing the joys of books, reading, and stories – and to celebrate, Subiaco Library have created their own ‘Subi Quick Reads’ display.
The display features a collection of magazines, comics, and short books you can read and enjoy in under an hour.
Some titles included in the display include the Garfield Fat Cat comics by Jim Davies, Shaun Tan’s ‘Tales from Outer Suburbia’, and Tim Winton’s ‘That Eye, The Sky’.
To invite readers to unwind with a book, and keep the Reading Hour celebrations going, Subiaco Library staff have turned a section of the library into a cosy Library Lounge, where people are invited to relax and read for an hour while enjoying free tea, coffee, and fruit.
The Library Lounge will be open on Thursday 9 March from 9.30am to 5pm, and the Reading Hour display will run from Tuesday 7 March to Friday 31 March.
Books included in the display:
- Garfield Fat Cat comic – Jim Davies
- Tales from Outer Suburbia – Shaun Tan
- Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence – Doris Pilkington/Nugi Garimara
- That Eye, The Sky – Tim Winton
- Be Resilient and Thrive – Patrick Lindsay
- We The Animals – Justin Torres
- The Curly Pyjama Letters – Michael Leunig
- The Archer – Paula Coelho
- The Furthest Station – Ben Aaronovitch
- The Cockroach – Ian McEwan
- Sam Bloom – Samantha Bloom