The State Government recently announced a significant package of major reforms for Western Australian local government since The Local Government Act 1995 was passed.
To inform implementation of the proposed reforms the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries is inviting comments from local governments and the wider community.
The City of Subiaco Council resolved, at its November meeting, to forward correspondence to the Minister for Housing and Local Government seeking an extension of the submission to 5 March 2022.
The current submission period is 10 November 2021 to 4 February 2022. This is considered insufficient time for Council to consider the reforms and provide a submission. Particularly as there are no Council meetings in January 2022.
The proposed reforms are based on six themes:
- earlier intervention, effective regulation and stronger penalties
- reducing red tape, increasing consistency and simplicity
- greater transparency and accountability
- stronger local democracy and community engagement
- clear roles and responsibilities
- improved financial management and report.
Feedback received by the State Government is intended to inform the drafting of legislation.