Heritage news and projects
Strategic Heritage Plan
The city is preparing a Heritage Strategic Plan to guide the management of the city’s rich and unique heritage and celebrate it into the future. The plan will provide a framework for the preservation of the city’s heritage across four key areas:
- Knowing – identifying and recording the places, stories and objects that represent the city’s rich history
- Protecting – conserving, adapting and appropriately developing the city’s heritage places
- Supporting – facilitating and encouraging the conservation and management of the city’s heritage
- Promoting – increasing an awareness and appreciation of the city’s diverse heritage
Community involvement in the development of this strategic plan is important. There will be a number of opportunities for the community and stakeholders to have their say throughout the process.
Community heritage surveys
The city is conducting community heritage surveys, with the aim of identifying and protecting buildings and streetscapes of heritage value. This is a collaborative project between the city and the community. A survey is currently being undertaken in the following area:
- Numbers 282-300 Hamersley Road, 6 & 8 Sadlier Street and the western side of Derby Road (numbers 1-37). Council has resolved to consider expanding the recently designated Hamersley Road Group Heritage Area to include these places. Including these places will link the Hamersley Road and Sadlier and Redfern Street Heritage Areas and provide protection to a relatively intact heritage streetscape in Derby Road.
Newly listed areas
Salisbury and Rupert Street Heritage Area
The Salisbury and Rupert Street Heritage Area comprises of Nos. 84-106 Salisbury Street, 89-123 Rupert Street, 17-59 Heytesbury Road and 2-12 Nicholson Road. Together with the adjacent Chesters’ Subdivision Heritage Area and the Kershaw Street Heritage Area the area is a comprehensive collection of places that epitomize the physical and traditional social character of what is now known as the City of Subiaco’s Triangle Precinct.
The history of the houses in this area helps to demonstrate the original settlement of this part of Subiaco as a solid middle class area, in which the family residences of more senior white-collar workers existed side by side with the smaller, but still well-built, houses of more junior white collar workers, retail employees and skilled tradespeople.
Click here to learn more about the interesting history of the area, the individual properties within it and some of the early residents that lived in the area. A hard copy of the heritage assessment is also available in the Local History Section at Subiaco Library.
Newly listed places
Recent additions to the city's Town Planning Scheme Heritage List include:
'Avro' No. 2 Nicholson Road, Subiaco
No. 2 Nicholson Road, Subiaco comprises a group of three buildings:
- c.1908 building also referred to as 191 Thomas Street, Subiaco;
- c.1918 building also known as ‘Avro’; and
- c.1936 purpose built hospital building fronting Nicholson Road.
Collectively the three buildings are of considerable cultural heritage significance (level 2) to the City of Subiaco:
- For the long-term association of the overall site with Frederick and Agnes Jacoby, who were a prominent business family in WA (primarily associated with well-regarded hotel businesses) and who also played a primary role in successfully lobbying for the construction of Lemnos Hospital for the care of returned servicemen suffering from mental illness.
- As a landmark collection of buildings which have been well-known over time as a hospital/medical facility.
- As a significant site for the history of women in the local community, with reference to its management as a hospital by a series of women over at least 3 decades, and as a place of employment for local women in the roles of nursing, cleaning and cooking.
- For its social significance for the families of those who were born, treated or died here following its conversion to a hospital in 1922.
The 1918 building on the corner of Nicholson Road and Salisbury Street is of particular significance:
- For its landmark values as a good example of an early Inter-War era bungalow, located on a prominent corner site.
- For its historical and aesthetic values as an example of the residential work of William Wolf, an architect who is highly regarded for his design of His Majesty’s Theatre and Hotel in Hay Street, Perth.
- As a representative example of a well-designed and detailed “gentleman’s villa” of Subiaco dating from the early post-WWI era, and for the evidence it provides about the style and standard of the development that took place in the elevated locations near Kings Park – an area that had been established in the early twentieth century as an suited to the more affluent residents of Subiaco.
- As a representative example of the adaptation of large late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century residences as private hospitals in the inter-war years.
- As one of several private hospitals established in Subiaco in the inter-war years, illustrating the importance of the relatively central location, ‘healthy’ environment and proximity to public transport that the suburb offered.
The 1936 building fronting Nicholson Road is of additional significance:
- As an example of a purpose-built medical facility that illustrated the on-going success and development of one of Subiaco’s inter-war era private hospitals.
c. 1918 building at the corner of Nicholson Road and Salisbury Street
c. 1936 hospital building fronting Nicholson Road
c. 1908 building at the corner of Nicholson Road and Thomas Street