Sorting your waste
The City of Subiaco uses the three colour waste system. Red for general waste, yellow for recycling and white bags for garden waste. To reduce waste, and recycle correctly, it is important to understand which items go in each bin.
Green waste is collected weekly, on the same day as your general waste, providing you following these specifications:
- Place a minimum of four and a maximum of ten green waste bags on your verge for collection.
- Place all loose greens in City of Subiaco green waste bags. Each bag should be no heavier than 15kg.
- Greens piles should be no larger than 3 metres long x 1.5 metres wide x 1.5 metres high.
- Tree trunks or stumps should be no larger than 150mm in diameter and no heavier than 15kg.
- Tree branches and prunings should be no more than 1.5 metres in length and placed on the verge with the cut end of the branch towards the kerb.
- Green waste should not be contaminated with sand, soil or other waste.
Please note, this service is for residential prunings only. Green waste generated by commercial tree loppers/contractors will not be removed by the City and must be removed by a contractor.
Green waste bags cost $5 each and can be purchased from the City's administrative centre on Rokeby Road.
Bulk waste collection
Bulk waste collections occur in the first week of July and December each year. Where possible, items collected during this service are recycled.
The next bulk waste collection is scheduled for:
- Monday 5 to Friday 9 July 2021 (Place items out for collection on the weekend of 3 and 4 July).
Bulk waste requirements
For collection, place waste neatly on the street verge outside your property. If you do not have a verge, place items in front of the boundary to your property line or near an open gateway. The City does not go onto private property to collect bulk waste. The Subi Centro collection point is from rear lanes.
Please do not put waste out before the specified dates. Items must be on your verge by 6am on the first day of the removal period.
Download a full list of what can and can’t be placed out for bulk waste collection. Note: for the purposes of bulk waste collections, mattresses are classified as furniture and will be removed by the City's contractor. If you have any questions regarding the bulk waste collection, please contact the City.
West Metro Recycling Centre
General waste, recyclables, bulk waste items and green waste can be disposed of at the West Metro Recycling Centre on the corner of Brockway Road and Lemnos Street, Shenton Park. A number of items can be recycled at the facility free of charge, including e-waste, household hazardous waste (HHW), x-rays, plastic plant pots, and polystyrene. For a complete list of accepted items, visit the West Metro Recycling Centre website.
City of Subiaco residents and ratepayers require a proof of residence (such as a Driver's License) to gain free entry into the West Metro Recycling Centre.
To dispose of household batteries and mobile phones, residents can access recycling bins located at Subiaco Library.
Western Suburbs residents have access to a range of waste education training courses and events throughout the year. Events are run by Western Metropolitan Regional Council and cost $5 plus a booking fee. Visit the WMRC website for more information.