The City of Subiaco council is urging the Western Australian Local Government Association (WALGA) to advocate on behalf of metropolitan local governments for changes to demolition approvals for single houses.
Under the changes, local governments may require residents wishing to demolish a single house to submit an application for the future development of their site.
The idea is to avoid historic and character houses being demolished without a plan for redevelopment and to ensure blocks do not sit vacant on character streetscapes for extended periods of time.
At last week’s council meeting, City of Subiaco Councillor Stephanie Stroud, who moved the motion, said many local governments had experienced negative impacts since the State Government regulations changed in 2015 allowing single-houses to be demolished without the need for approval.
She said a better regulation would be for applicants to “require development approval for a subsequent development, prior to a single house demolition application being determined”.
Council will raise the issue at the WALGA Annual General Meeting on Wednesday 1 August.
Decisions from the recent council meeting can be found in the council minutes at www.subiaco.wa.gov.au/Your-council/Council-meetings/Agendas-and-minutes