The City of Subiaco's annual Photographic Awards celebrate creativity in Subiaco and offer photographers a chance to showcase their original works.
2019 Photographic Awards
Focus I Capture I Express
Entries for the 2019 Photographic Awards, presented by the City of Subiaco, are now open to all photographers in the Perth metropolitan area aged six years and over. Metropolitan area is defined as having a residential postcode including and between 6000 and 6199.
Entries open: Monday 24 June 2019
Entries close: 4pm, Monday 22 July 2019
If you have any questions about the awards please read the information below or contact the city at email@example.com or 9237 9222.
Submitting your entry
Entries for the 2019 Photographic Awards open on Monday 24 June and close at 4pm on Monday 22 July. No late entries will be accepted. Please ensure you use the correct form. Age is taken at the time of entry into the awards.
Before uploading you entry, please ensue you have read and understood the conditions of entry, editing and optimisation of photographs and eligibility information below. Please also ensure your photograph is the correct size and named as per the correct format below.
Entries must be uploaded in line with the below file name format:
- your first and last name (i.e. John Smith) underscore
- photograph title (i.e. Silent Night) underscore
- category identification (Open or Subiaco or Mobile) (i.e. Mobile) underscore
- if applicable, youth (ages 12 to 18) or kid (ages 6 to 12). (i.e. youth)
Example: John Smith_Silent Night_Mobile_youth
Please note: This is for the ‘file’ you upload, not the title you enter on the entry form.
Note: It is not advisable to leave your submission until the closing date, as the system can get congested and you may not be able to upload your entries before the deadline.
All entries must be submitted using the online entry form. Hard copy and other digital formatted entries will not be accepted.
If you have any questions, experience any difficulties uploading your entry or you do not have access to a computer, please contact the city on 9237 9222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will assist you in completing your entry.
Awards and prizes
Total prize pool of over $2500 in cash and prizes is up for grabs.
Overall Prize: $1000
2019 Photographic Awards Categories
Mobile phone: $500
Youth and Children special prizes
Youth (ages 12 to 17 years): $200
Children (ages 6 to 11): $100 voucher
People’s Choice Award: $100
All finalists are eligible for the overall prize. All finalists are also eligible for their category prize (Subiaco, Open or Mobile) and People’s Choice Award. Photographers under the age of eighteen (18) are also eligible for either the Subi Voice of Youth or the Subi Kids Crew prize.
The judging panel consists of industry and educational representatives from around Western Australia. The judging panel will select the finalists for the exhibition, and determine the winners and highly commended entries when the exhibition has been installed. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence of results will be entered into.
For information about what the judges are looking for please read through the judging criteria document. (PDF 232KB).
Exhibition and display
Finalists in the 2019 Photographic Awards will have their work exhibited in the annual Photographic Awards exhibition.
When: Saturday 19 October to Sunday 17 November 2019
Where: Subiaco Library, 237 Rokeby Road, Subiaco
Due to the large number of high quality entries received each year, only the finalists, as selected by the judges, will be invited to submit their image for display as part of the exhibition.
Finalists will be notified via email by Friday 30 August and requested to place a high resolution copy of their image into Dropbox by Friday 6 September. Dropbox is free of charge and the city will provide instructions on how to access the site. The city will then print, mount and take all artworks to the Subiaco Library for the exhibition. At the completion of the exhibition finalists will be asked to collect their work. Any works that are not collected by the end of this year will become the property of the City of Subiaco.
The award presentation ceremony will take place in October at Subiaco Library. All finalists with one guest will be invited to attend this event for the announcement of the winners.
Photographs can be entered into one of three categories: Subiaco, Mobile or Open. Photographers can submit two (2) photographs into the awards. These can be entered into the same category or different categories. The same photograph cannot be entered into two categories.
Entries for the Subiaco category must be taken within the City of Subiaco and reflect an aspect of the local community. You do not have to be a resident of Subiaco to enter this category. This includes the following areas:
- parts of Shenton Park
Please check out the map of the borders if you need more information.
The Mobile category has been introduced to embrace the growing world of phone cameras and mobile phone photography and is open to any photograph taken with a camera phone.
The Open category has no entry restrictions. It is open to any photograph that does not meet the requirements of the Subiaco or Mobile phone categories
- Photographers are limited to a maximum of two (2) entries per person. If more than two entries are submitted, the first two (2) submissions will be accepted and all others disqualified. This may be done without consultation with the photographer.
- The photographer (entrant) represents and warrants that the photograph submitted:
- is the original work of the photographer (entrant)
- has been taken personally by the photographer and is not a photo of another photo (entrant)
- was edited and completed by the same photographer (entrant) without assistance
- is owned under copyright by the photographer (entrant) who is entitled to reproduce and exploit all underlying rights in the work.
- The photographer (entrant) must have captured the original photograph as a single exposure on a camera (including DSLR, SLR, point and click, compact, mirror less, notepad or mobile phone).
- Photographs are accepted into all three categories of the awards in colour, sepia or black and white format.
- Entries must be submitted as a JPEG file sized between 500KB and 2MB for viewing on a PC (not a Mac). Entries larger than this will not be accepted.
- Entries must be uploaded in line with the name format outlined under submitting your entry.
- Entries must be void of watermarks or any form of identifying signatures and/or markings. Entries containing watermarks or signatures will be disqualified.
- All photographers under the age of eighteen (18) are required to submit the parent/ legal guardian consent form signed by a parent or legal guardian. Without this form, the entry cannot be finalised. This form will be automatically emailed to the photographer’s email address at the completion of the online entry form linked above. The form needs to be returned to the city by 4pm, Monday 22 July. Entries without this consent form will be disqualified.
The photographer indemnifies the City of Subiaco against any loss resulting from a breach of the above conditions of entry. Failure to adhere to the conditions of entry may lead to disqualification from the 2019 and subsequent Photographic Awards and the removal of any award recognition and prizes.
Editing and optimisation of photographs
This is a photographic competition; entries are to be photographic in nature.
The judges are looking for photographs that have not been digitally altered beyond standard optimisation and without obvious photo manipulation techniques. The following editing techniques are considered standard optimisation which is suitable within these awards:
- removal of dust
- reasonable fixes to exposure, colour, sharpness and contrast
The judges are looking for photographs that have not been digitally altered beyond standard optimisation and with no obvious photo manipulation. Photographs that have been inappropriately edited or contain excessive manipulation will not be considered by the judges. These include but are not limited to:
- over saturation, sharpening and contrasting used within the editing of the entered photograph
- the inclusion of foreign objects within a photograph that are added within post production
- excessive use of filtersThe city reserves the right to question the editing and optimisation that has taken place in post-production to any entered photograph
The city reserves the right to question the editing and optimisation that has taken place in post-production to any entered photograph.
- Submissions are open to all residents of the Perth metropolitan area (defined as having a postcode including and between 6000 – 6199).
- Photographers must be over the age of six. Age is taken at the time of entry into the awards.
- Photographers between the ages of six (6) and seventeen (17) are required to complete and return the parent/guardian consent form to the city before their entry is finalised. Adult finalists are required to complete a similar form when delivering their work to the library. City of Subiaco employees are not eligible to enter the competition.
All care is taken in exhibiting the works of finalists, but the city takes no responsibility for any damage that may inadvertently occur to prints. Insurance is the responsibility of the photographer.
Canvassing of city councillors, staff or awards judges will result in disqualification from the awards and a possible lifetime ban from the city of Subiaco Photographic Awards.
Public use of photographs
Entries in the 2019 Photographic Awards may be used for future promotion of the awards and by the City of Subiaco in city publications. All finalists’ images will be kept on file and may be displayed around the city. The images will also be kept in the city’s historical photographic collection. The title and photographers name will be acknowledged where possible, and the photographer will retain copyright.