City of Subiaco - Food businesses
iconSubiaco WA – 19.9˚
Partly Cloudy. Mild. Breezy.

Food businesses

All food businesses operating in the City of Subiaco must be registered. This page contains information about licensing, food business guidelines, food handling training, allergy awareness and inspections

Page index

Starting a new food business

Businesses wishing to sell or handle food must be registered as a food business in the City of Subiaco (exceptions do apply – please refer to information about exempted food businesses).

Before any application for registration is submitted to the city, please ensure that you have the necessary planning and building approvals.

To register your food business in the City of Subiaco you are required to submit a completed food business registration/notification form by downloading a copy and returning it to the city.

In addition you will need to provide:

  • applicable fees - please refer to the schedule of fees (PDF, 146KB)
  • floor plan indicating food storage positions, location and type of equipment, surface finishes, fixtures and fittings
  • elevations
  • detailed menu
  • an outdoor dining application, if proposed - please visit the Outdoor dining page for further information.

For more information regarding the above, please refer to the city's food business guidelines (PDF, 642KB).  

Buying an existing food business

If you are purchasing an existing food business within the City of Subiaco, you are required to notify us.  Please complete the registration/notification form (above) to advise of any changes to the menu and operators.

Once this form is completed, you will be issued with a certificate of registration which needs to be displayed in the food premises.

For settlement enquiries on an existing food business, please complete the Application for Property Enquiry Inspection form (PDF, 193KB).  

Please note the existing proprietor must submit a food business cancellation form (PDF, 46KB) upon closing the business or prior to settlement.

Exempted food businesses

The Food Act 2008 provides for certain types of food businesses to be exempt from the requirements of registration.

These types of businesses are set out in the Food Regulations 2009 and are businesses that:

  • are conducted solely for charitable or community purposes and prepare non-potentially hazardous food or food that, after being appropriately cooked, is served for immediate consumption
  • sell certain packaged food
  • provide complimentary drinks in conjunction with another kind of business
  • form part of premises registered under the Commonwealth Export Control Act 1982.

While exempted food businesses are not subject to the same registration requirements, they must still notify the city of their intention to undertake food business activities prior to doing so, and provide the city with the following:

  • a completed food business notification and registration form (above)
  • payment of a one-off notification fee. Exempted food businesses are not required to pay the annual fees associated with registered food businesses. Please refer to the schedule of fees (PDF, 146KB)

Free online food handling training

The City of Subiaco takes food hygiene seriously, and believes good food hygiene starts with educated food handlers. To assist food businesses in meeting their obligations to in ensuring staff have adequate skills and knowledge, the City of Subiaco provides free access to an online training tool called FoodSafe.

The program is easy to follow and includes entertaining presentations, as well as interactive quizzes. Upon completion of the program, a training acknowledgement form can be printed.

For further information on this training, please email the Environmental Health team.

Free allergy awareness resources

The City of Subiaco has created a collection of resources in order to assist food businesses to become more allergy aware, and to meet their obligations under the Food Act 2008 and the Food Standards Code.  These resources are:

The city encourages all food businesses to download and implement these resources.

All businesses wanting to provide alfresco dining must obtain approval from the City of Subiaco. This page contains i...

Read more

To hold a temporary food stall in the City of Subiaco, you are required to obtain a licence. This page contains infor...

Read more

To prepare food in your home for sale to the public, you must obtain a licence through the City of Subiaco. This page...

Read more