City of Subiaco - About development applications
iconSubiaco WA – 16.3˚
Mostly Sunny

About development applications

Development and land use proposals on properties are required to be assessed and approved via a Planning (Development) Application.

Development Applications are assessed against the City of Subiaco Town Planning Scheme No. 4, the Residential Design Codes 2010 and relevant Planning Policies.  Further information on these documents can be found on the town planning controls and policies page.

Development Approval

Development approval required

Generally, an application for development approval will be required for proposals involving:

  • construction of buildings/dwellings
  • changing the use of a building/premises
  • additions and alterations to existing dwellings
  • non-residential developments
  • non-complying signage (with the city's policy)
  • lapsed development approvals (approvals are valid for two years, after which a new application must be submitted if not substantially commenced)
  • places with heritage significance
  • demolition of buildings
  • non-complying front fencing (with the city's policy)
  • retaining walls (over 500mm in height)
  • excavation in the front setback area (over 500mm).

Development approval may be required

  • Fence alterations.
  • Landscape works.
  • Minor works.
  • Home occupations (businesses conducted from home).

Development approval not required 

  • Dividing fences less than 1.8m above natural ground level behind the front setback line.
  • Internal alterations (a building permit may be required for internal additions) unless the building is heritage listed.

Development approvals must be granted prior to the submission of a Building Permit.

Development Assessment Panel Applications

Visit the Development Assessment Panel (DAP) page for further information with regard to DAP applications. 

Section 40 Approvals

The City’s Town Planning Scheme serves as the most important tool in shaping a community's liquor environment outside of the Liquor Control Act. An application for a liquor license cannot be approved by the Department of Racing, Gaming & Liquor if the City has not granted planning approval for the liquor related activity/use. The purpose of a Section 40 certificate is for the City’s Planning Services to ensure the relevant planning approval is in place for the license sought, particularly in regard to land use classification, patron capacity and hours of operation. 

Applying for Development Approval

For information about applying for development approval or section 40 approval, including the application forms, checklist and schedule of fees, visit the lodging a development application page 

Copies of Existing Development Approvals

For written development application information for a property, you can request a copy of the existing plans and approvals held by the city.  To receive these approvals you will be required to complete the request for planning approvals form and return it to the city with the applicable fee. This process may take up to 10 business days.

Request for Planning Approvals Form (PDF, 113kB)