Location: SUBIACO; Roberts Rd, Hamilton Street, Subiaco Road, Coghlan Road.
Mueller Park, situated between Perth Modern School and Subiaco Oval, commemorates the life and work of the eminent scientist and explorer Baron Ferdinand von Mueller, born in 1825 in Rostock, Germany. The name Mueller Park was changed in December 1916 to Kitchener Park, due to war-time patriotic fervour. Similarly, Mueller Road became Roberts Road and Ferdinand Street became the present Winthrop Avenue. While the streets have not reverted to their original names, a portion of Kitchener Park was returned to the name Mueller Park, formally declared with the unveiling of a memorial in the centre of the park on November 19th 1981.
In the 1900’s Kitchener Park was the home ground of tennis, croquet, bowls, cricket and football clubs of the time. Clubs such as the Princess Margaret Hospital Tennis Club were based at the park, and the Kitchener Park Bowling Club was still active in 1980.
While such a wide variety of sporting groups no longer use the area, this green and shaded precinct remains an important part of Subiaco’s public open space. Mueller Park is popular for a range of activities. The park provides barbecues and two separate children’s play areas, as well as dog exercise areas. The park has disability access and features a basketball half court near the play equipment and barbecues.
Due to the ideal location of the park within the urban community it acts as a green lung for a range of recreational pursuits with the trees not only providing aesthetic amenity and shade value to the surrounding urban environment, but also contributing significantly to the historical value of Subiaco in respect to the remains of remnant vegetation, which includes a remnant specimen of Eucalyptus marginata which has been identified as a shield tree by the Aboriginal Elders.